When it comes to Kansas City, Baby Boomers know a side of it that younger generations have never seen. Long before P&L, Arrowhead Stadium and Prairiefire, this city had a totally different look. And in some ways, it was even cooler back then than it is today.
Here are 12 things that’ll have us all yearnin’ for the good ole days:
1) The charm and intimacy of Municipal Stadium
2) When Metcalf South was THE place to be
3) Having a basketball team that Kansas and Missouri could root for
4) A drive-in movie theater that was perfect for necking
5) Having an actual, ummm, whaddya call it? Newspaper thingy? Yeah, that’s it.
6) An airport that was (dangerously) close to downtown
7) The legal drinking age in Kansas was 18
8) Racing down College Boulevard without hitting a light every 50 feet
9) Speaking of roads … this was considered rush hour on 435
10) The West Bottoms were hoppin’ instead of haunted
11) The police spent more time rescuing cats than writing tickets
12) And this is how you knew there was a tornado warning