On Sunday, the Kansas City Chiefs play a “home game” against the Detroit Lions at Wembley Stadium in London. Since most of us won’t be there, we’ve come up with eight ways to root for the Chiefs as if we lived across the pond:
1. Guzzle down Guinness
The game starts at 8:30 a.m. central — perfect time to chug a pint of Guinness and wash it down with Baileys.
2. Ditch the barbecue for classic English fare
Get your grub on with fish n’ chips or bangers and mash (aka sausage and mashed potatoes).
3. Game gettin’ intense? Start a random fist fight for the fun of it
When tempers flair and frustration boils, there’s only one thing to do — fight everyone!
[Editor’s note: don’t actually do this, please]
4. Think you’re a real fan? Get a tattoo of the score — as the game’s in progress
True fans don’t just wear their teams on their backs, they wear them on their skin. Forever.
5. Dump the Maclin jersey for a knitted KC Chiefs scarf
Bonus points if you get Nana to crochet it for you.
6. Create a unique Chiefs chant and repeat it over and over no matter how the team’ doing
Something like: We are Kansas City/We are all the Chiefs/We never win in the playoffs/And our hearts are full of grief/Oh! We are Kansas City
7. Nail down the lingo
Close game? It’s no longer a “nail biter,” it’s “squeaky bum time.”
Kicker hits the uprights? Don’t call it a “clanker,” say, “he hit the woodwork.”
Did someone get ejected from the game? He wasn’t “tossed,” he was “heading for an early bath.”
8. Make it a family affair
Because civility is overrated anyway.